Safe In The Arms of the Shepherd

Safe In The Arms of the Shepherd
This is Who we want our children to know!

Friday, December 21, 2012

A delicate balancing act . . .

I've been noticing that I cannot be as verbally and demonstratively loving with Sam as I would want to be, not yet. YiLi knows she is dearly loved, she understands that love grows when shared, and yet, this is a hard process for her to go through. She IS making her way, but I do stop myself from going on and on about:

Sam's sweet heart- when we play Sorry, and someone gets sent home, even if he is the one sending them home, he begins a pitiful fake cry and comes over to that person and kisses and hugs them! The first time he did this, he checked out our response. When he saw we liked it, the kisses and hugs just got bigger and bigger!

How stinking' cute he is!

How clever he is! When he repeats English words for us, he has a peculiar little accent. Even though he is 6, it reminds me of how a baby will mispronounce words in a cute way and how sad it is when that baby starts speaking correctly . . .

How much mischief this little boy can find in this small space. Over and over again we have gotten on google translate, explained our expectations, described what a family is, held hands and gotten a Chinese pinkie promise about what he will or will not do going forward . . . We are making headway, but I would not exactly leave me dearest possessions on the counter for anyone to come along and play with!

Really, YiLi is doing great. We try not to make her responsible for too much translation, but there have been several times when she breaks out in giggles and then tells us what Sam has said, so that is a good sign.

I hope this helps a family heading over for a subsequent adoption, just something to think about.



1 comment:

  1. I see some similarities between Jia and Sam. Very clever and sweet little ones. I was wondering how YiLi would do. You are a very wise mom! I was imagining that it will be hard for Jia, too, when we add another one. Even at six, she loves to be called my "baby". That'll be challenging when there is another "baby".

    Praying that everyone is well for travel home!

    ReplyDelete