Safe In The Arms of the Shepherd

Safe In The Arms of the Shepherd
This is Who we want our children to know!

Monday, December 26, 2011

To China and back plus a month

So much time has passed, so many life events, I am just asking God to help me as I write this post to bring you all up to date. I could not seem to come here before now, so here goes . . . joy and sorrow, endings and beginnings, thankfulness all the same because God knows what is best and works all things for good for us because we do love Him and we have been called according to His purpose.

We met YiLi in Jinan, the provincial capital of Shandong, China on Sunday, November 27. On to Qingdao the next day by bullet train and then we flew to Guangzhou on Tuesday night . We met Gan the next morning at the Civil Affairs office.





Gan asked to go back to her orphanage after a day and a night. She suffered greatly, and I do not think, even after being prepared, that she truly understood what adoption meant until she was face to face with it. We were told that it was not personally about us. I truly have come to believe that there are a few children who would rather stay in China no matter what their future life will be like, and Gan was one of them. I did not want to believe that until another mother went over to meet her daughter from the same orphanage and checked in on Gan for us. She told us that Gan was resolved to stay in China, that she would have refused any family, that the director had cried many a tear over her decision. So for a reason that only God knows, Gan did not come home with us.

My sister Leslie had sent porcelain Christmas ornaments shaped like Chinese dolls, lanterns, and pandas for each of my three girls. As I wrapped a box for each girl in the upstairs bedroom, I had my private grieving session for Gan, and laid a dream to rest. I do know that God brought Gan into our lives for a purpose though, so we wait to know that purpose. We are hoping that if Gan knows we are not trying to convince her to come with us, that she and her orphanage will allow us to sponsor her as she gets older. Maybe we can make her life a bit easier.

YiLi is a joy. She has the most endearing personality. She has been with us for one month now, and we can hardly remember life without her. Rick and I are feeling younger by the minute, laughing, skipping, playing, learning, seeing life anew from a child's viewpoint. I think I will let the pictures say the rest:


















6 comments:

  1. Traci, I love that you are back blogging! Loved all your pictures! I especially loved seeing Brittany and YiLi together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traci,
    YiLi looks so happy. What a wonderful smile. Happy to hear she is doing so well. I'll keep praying for peace in your hearts and for Gan.
    Joanna Dell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures! What a fun Christmas you had with YiLi! You have been in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traci,

    I am so sorry:-( My heart broke as I read this post. I had no idea this had happened when I sent you a message through RQ. Again, I am just so, so sorry about Gan.

    YiLi is absolutely adorable and looks like she is fitting into your family perfectly!!!! I love all the pictures of her smiling and I'm so glad to see her with your family.

    I hope you all have a wonderful New Year!!!!

    Blessings,

    Mary (maryinar)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traci,
    What a full and deep post! You know our love and prayers continue for all of you as you sort through everything and settle into the joy of YiLi!
    LOVE love seeing more pics!!! Looks like you all had a story-book Christmas! May the Good Shepherd wrap you in His sovereign love and give you His peace that passes understanding.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers, I lvoe seeing Yili finally at home! I am so sorry and will continue to pray for Gan.

    ReplyDelete